Thursday 20 March 2014

Surviving...just


Hi everyone, its Thursday and I am feeling so weak today but I thought I would write a brief post on the next phase of my life's journey.
I amended the year in the previous 2 posts to 1999 as I was declaring it to be 1998 when I got ME, but that was the chronic illness fog attacking..LOL
I mention the year only as part of my story, not to boast that I have a chronic illness longer than you or that somehow I am an expert at this by now. As if its something to be proud of,, which its not just to clarify.

Anyhow the year was 1999,,I was in my last 5 months of my term in Ukraine. I got the flu, well it was worse than the average flu which is really bad at the worst of times. It was a strain of flu that was causing a number of deaths in the area. I got it real bad and living on my own it was a challenge to try and look after myself. I remember going back to work too soon and losing my temper with one of the students I was working with because of a disagreement and collapsing in a flood of tears. I never felt fully recovered and started getting flu like symptoms every 6 weeks. I had already decided to return home for good that summer so that was a relief really as I felt I had followed through on my commitment to stay in Ukraine for 2 years.
When I returned home I had already committed to going to Bible college in Belfast for 2 years. That summer of my return was very emotional. I was utterly exhausted. The one thing that kept me persevering was that I had met the love of my life in 1998 on a visit to my sister in Belfast. Without him I don't know if I would have survived that summer of 1999 in one piece. He has been the one to stop me going over the edge on various occasions.

And with those soppy thoughts in mind I will end here for now. In my next instalment I will share the nightmare of going from one medical professional to another until I got finally diagnosed in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment